Skip to main content

Some Days You Teach Them How to Use a Ruler

The first month of my technical theater class, I had grand designs on repeating a project I was assigned in college: we were asked to take measurements and build a replica of a theater in downtown Savannah. This replica was to be built neatly and entirely out of black foam board, and they were to build our stage. It was step one to a longer goal of building a model set design on that stage, and it exercised a bunch of skills from measuring to scale drawing to making neat cuts (the key is patience!) to using new tools (like the Rabbet cutter!).

As a theater teacher, it's exciting when your content gets to cross over to the core subject areas that people don't scoff at. A fellow bridesmaid in a wedding in Connecticut last year scoffed at the idea that I was a full-time theater teaching unit. "Alabama needs to get its priorities straight," she said. And instead of arguing with her that my job actually helps those other priorities or that our school is large enough in size to warrant those elective positions, I just went to help the bride with her lip color.

I was excited to watch my students apply practical mathematics to scale their model. I was excited for step two when we could work through their ideas for Romeo & Juliet set designs. What I did not anticipate was that only one out of nine students in my room would even know how to use a knife.
What I did not anticipate was that only one out of nine students in my room would even know how to use a knife.
As a Gold Award Girl Scout and a Venture Scout, I was raised knowing how to use a knife and how much weight to give its use so as not to have careless accidents, so it was a complete shock to me when students laid the metal ruler out along their cut lines, positioned their bodies out of the path per my instruction, and proceeded to cut towards extended thumbs. I had to jump in very quickly. We ended up spending some time discussing knife safety, and the stage building took longer than expected.

Months later I decided to resurrect scaled drawing with my Theater I class as a way to dip their toes in the waters of set design. They were to draw a scaled ground-plan of my classroom including the doors and major furniture. There were no knives this time, so I figured we were all safe. Once again, I spent the day teaching students instead how to measure. Some were measuring walls on huge diagonals because of height differences. A couple students didn't even understand the fractions by which their rulers were divided, counting eighths of an inch as tenths.

Some of my more experienced colleagues weren't nearly as surprised as I was. We all like to laugh over absurd test answers from time-to-time (one student last year answered that when Shakespeare wasn't writing plays, he was a telephone operator) but we cannot hold students accountable for what they haven't been taught. Everything we do has a smaller set of sub-skills required to do that. To play soccer we have to first run. To run we have to walk. To walk we have to be able to stand on our own two feet. Every time we go into the classroom, we have to be prepared that plans may change and that we may spend some time shoring up the skill-sets needed for what we had planned.
We cannot hold students accountable for what they haven't been taught.
If there's one thing I learned this year teaching technical theater as a subject, it's that some days you think you're going to create a scaled ground plan, but then you end up just teaching them how to use a ruler. And that's okay. Rulers are important too.

From My Teachers Pay Teachers Store:

Before they can use it, they have to know what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Personal Monologue Project

A young girl stands on a tiny platform under a spotlight and tearfully tells her classmates about the night that she held hands with her siblings in the bathroom of their home in Syria while the Russians bombed their street. A fourteen year old boy admits a vulnerability hiding under his swagger. A sometimes combative teen with a lot of talent recounts the sensation of her father's car flipping in an accident that took his life on the way to the birth of her sister. Two girls who previously had little interaction connect over similar stories about drug-addicted parents and coming to live with their grandmothers. There are days when my classroom is pretty factual and practical. We learn to make scaled set drawings. We study the differences between Greek and Roman theater. We memorize lines by rote. And then there are the days when my class gets pretty emotional and almost therapeutic. We journal. We build box forts. We reveal something about ourselves like we did that day when we

Managing Auditions with Google Schools

Last year, when I directed Romeo and Juliet , I printed off a few dozen audition packets. When I ran out and couldn't make it to the copier, I worried that the kids who came by to get them would meet that obstacle and decide not to turn out again. I worried that if I wasn't in my room at all times, that someone with potential might miss their chance. I worried an awful lot, but you tend to do that when launching an endeavor as big as a full-length Shakespeare play at a new school. Then I got an idea from my colleague, our choir director. He suggested for our musical that we make all of the audition tracks available in a Google Drive folded. The benefits? We don't have to individually share the link with students who are interested People who aren't part of our school Google network can't access it We can leave a URL on the call board and we won't miss anyone who isn't in one of our classes Since then, my school has gone to Google Drive for all Perf

5 School Theater Revenue Sources Beyond Ticket Sales

Funding school theater is always a challenge. While a few schools offer an annual budget for school productions, most drama clubs are left with whatever revenue they take in from the previous production. Ticket pricing is a challenge: you want to make the show cheap enough to attract an audience but not so cheap that it seems like a waste of time (students don't have much faith in the quality of a $1 show.) Once you get the ticket price down, there are other revenue streams to consider. Here are a few easy options for adding a couple hundred extra dollars to your next production budget. Concessions Concessions don't have to be a daunting task. If you have absolutely no budget to start with, you can ask parents to bring cupcakes and cookies from home. Parents who don't have time to bake can offer to grab a case of soda and a bag of ice. All you need is a table, a cooler, and a cash box-- oh, and a volunteer parent to run the table. Do you have a little padding in you