Skip to main content

The Personal Monologue Project

A young girl stands on a tiny platform under a spotlight and tearfully tells her classmates about the night that she held hands with her siblings in the bathroom of their home in Syria while the Russians bombed their street. A fourteen year old boy admits a vulnerability hiding under his swagger. A sometimes combative teen with a lot of talent recounts the sensation of her father's car flipping in an accident that took his life on the way to the birth of her sister. Two girls who previously had little interaction connect over similar stories about drug-addicted parents and coming to live with their grandmothers.

There are days when my classroom is pretty factual and practical. We learn to make scaled set drawings. We study the differences between Greek and Roman theater. We memorize lines by rote. And then there are the days when my class gets pretty emotional and almost therapeutic. We journal. We build box forts. We reveal something about ourselves like we did that day when we presented personal monologues.

Last year, wanting to do a little writing in my Theater I class, I introduced a personal monologue writing assignment. I gave students a prompt sheet with seven prompts and little other guidance. When these sheets were completed and turned-in, I replied to at least one prompt on every paper with a comment or question for further exploration. When I gave them back, I then announced what we were going to be doing for the next few weeks. But I didn't see the real magic I had sparked until performance day.

For the next few weeks, students wrote and revised personal monologues. I saw them; I read them; but static on the page I didn't realize how much impact the project that having on some of my students. All along the way I gave students the chance to back out if their topic was too difficult to talk about. Some students told charming stories of bones broken, backsides whooped, and candy stolen.

Katharsis was a term put forth famously by Aristotle in his incomplete treatise, Poetics. A Katharsis is a purgation of emotions, and it was seen by the Ancient Greeks as an essential part of the theater. Some of my students didn't need to spill their guts on stage. But for a few extremely brave kids, this day that one student fondly dubbed "Cry-Fest 2017" was exactly what they needed, whether they were bearing their soul on stage or simply receiving it from the audience.

So what am I proposing? Why are you reading this? This was one of the best days of my teaching career, and I hope to bottle lightning and recreate it for years to come. I'm inviting you, as a teacher, to remember that every student comes with a story, and that if you really want to see a miracle, give them the opportunity to tell that story. Just make sure you wear waterproof mascara.
Every student comes with a story, and that if you really want to see a miracle, give them the opportunity to tell that story.

Get the Project Here:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 School Theater Revenue Sources Beyond Ticket Sales

Funding school theater is always a challenge. While a few schools offer an annual budget for school productions, most drama clubs are left with whatever revenue they take in from the previous production. Ticket pricing is a challenge: you want to make the show cheap enough to attract an audience but not so cheap that it seems like a waste of time (students don't have much faith in the quality of a $1 show.) Once you get the ticket price down, there are other revenue streams to consider. Here are a few easy options for adding a couple hundred extra dollars to your next production budget. Concessions Concessions don't have to be a daunting task. If you have absolutely no budget to start with, you can ask parents to bring cupcakes and cookies from home. Parents who don't have time to bake can offer to grab a case of soda and a bag of ice. All you need is a table, a cooler, and a cash box-- oh, and a volunteer parent to run the table. Do you have a little padding in you

Managing Auditions with Google Schools

Last year, when I directed Romeo and Juliet , I printed off a few dozen audition packets. When I ran out and couldn't make it to the copier, I worried that the kids who came by to get them would meet that obstacle and decide not to turn out again. I worried that if I wasn't in my room at all times, that someone with potential might miss their chance. I worried an awful lot, but you tend to do that when launching an endeavor as big as a full-length Shakespeare play at a new school. Then I got an idea from my colleague, our choir director. He suggested for our musical that we make all of the audition tracks available in a Google Drive folded. The benefits? We don't have to individually share the link with students who are interested People who aren't part of our school Google network can't access it We can leave a URL on the call board and we won't miss anyone who isn't in one of our classes Since then, my school has gone to Google Drive for all Perf